How to grow a flower at home?
If you love plants, but do not know how to care for them, then an unpretentious plant, such as a chefler's flower, would be an ideal option for you.
What is this plant?
Sheflera is a plant of the Araliaceae family. In total, there are more than 200 species, but only a few are grown at home. In nature, sheflera grows in tropical forests of Southeast Asia, in Australia. In general, it is more correct to call this plant the Scheffler flower, since it is named after the German botanist Jacob Christian Scheffler.
The plant looks like a small tree, reaching a height of 1-1.5 meters (in natural conditions, the length can reach 2.5 meters), with interesting green smooth leaves, dissected into several lobes (from 4 to 12) and similar to the fingers apart or open umbrella.
Leaf color can vary from light green to dark green, there are specimens with spotted leaves. Such a plant blooms only in natural conditions, but if you are lucky enough to see the flowers, they will be very small and have petals that look like certain tentacles.The flower of the chef is rather unpretentious, and yet some rules of care exist.
Creating optimal conditions
Flower cheflera is a tropical plant, so it is important to create suitable conditions for it:
- Lighting. It should be sufficient and bright, but scattered. It is best to put a pot with a flower on the west or east side, and the plant with dark leaves can be placed on the northern windowsill. Direct sunlight is unacceptable, as in this case burn spots may appear on the surface of the leaves. It is desirable to provide shading, for example, to block the window with dense curtains (and during the day you can curtain the windows). By the way, plants with light or motley leaves need more light.
- Flower chefler does not tolerate high temperatures. In summer, the temperature should fluctuate between 16-22 degrees (in the heat it is rather difficult to provide such conditions, so it is better to put the pot in the air-conditioned room). And in winter the temperature can vary from 14 to 16 degrees.
- In no case do not place the plant near the heating devices, it may die.
- Drifts do not tolerate the flower of the chefler either, so when you turn on the air conditioner, direct the air stream upwards so that the cold flow does not fall on the plant. Opening the window, remove the pot to another place during the airing.
- In the summer at night (but not in the heat) you can put a flower in the fresh air.
- The humidity in the room should be quite high.
The soil should pass moisture and air well. You can use ready-made soil for palm trees. If you prepare the substrate yourself, then mix the humus (about 20% in the total volume), sand (it should be no more than 10%), leafy earth (30%) and sod (about 40%).
How to grow at home flower cheflera? Provide him with the right care. The most important points:
- Watering should not be too frequent, but the soil should always be slightly damp (but only slightly, since the plant tolerates a lack of moisture much more easily than its excess). Water the flower immediately after the topsoil dries, but do not let the entire earthy coma dry out. In winter, the frequency of irrigation can be reduced.Use only soft and defended water. Its temperature should be as close as possible to the temperature of the soil.
- Be sure to provide drainage. Its role can play clay or sand. Place the drainage layer in the pan on which the pot stands.
- Spray the leaves of the plant regularly using a spray bottle. It is desirable to carry out spraying in the summer daily, and in the winter it is possible to do it every other day. Use soft water and do not overdo it, so that there are no smudges and drops on the surface of the leaves. Remove dust as it accumulates by rubbing leaves.
- The fertilizing of the plant is carried out every 10-14 days. It is best to alternate between complex mineral and organic fertilizers. You should feed the flower of the chefler only in spring, summer and autumn, in winter the plant does not need additional nutrition.
- If you carry out pruning, the plant may lose its unusual decorative appearance. If you want the flower not to grow up, and have the shape of a bush, then plant several plants in one pot (but preferably no more than three).
- A young plant is transplanted every year, and an adult flower of a chefler can be transplanted once every two years.The pot should be much larger than the previous one, as the roots are developed and grow rapidly.
Since the plant does not give seeds at home, reproduction can be done in two ways: by grafting and with the help of air branches. Now about each method in more detail.
Well-developed and practically stiff cuttings are used, the weak and young simply can not take root. Cut off the shoot at the base and place it for a few minutes in a growth stimulant. Ideal soil is a mixture of peat and sand (proportions will be equal). The ideal soil temperature is 22 degrees, it is desirable to provide bottom heating.
Until rooting, it is desirable to cover the container with a film, but do not forget to regularly air and spray the plant. In addition, the soil should always be wet. After rooting, the flower can be transplanted into a separate pot, lowering the temperature of the soil to 18-20 degrees.
To make aerial cuts, a small recess is cut in the stem of the plant. Moss is placed in it, which is then wrapped with a film. Regularly moisten the moss, and after about 2 months you will notice the roots.Cut off the trunk below the place of cutting and plant a plant.
Possible diseases and problems:
- The most common pests are spider mites, scab, aphids and thrips. If you notice traces of their presence, treat the plant with suitable insecticides. Pests can be removed with a cotton swab dipped in soapy water.
- With an excess of moisture, a so-called dropsy may appear, which manifests itself in the form of bubbles on the underside of the leaves.
- Flower cheflera may begin to shed leaves at an unsuitable temperature or with an excess of moisture.
- With a lack of moisture, the edges of the leaves can turn brown.
Take care of the plant to make you happy!
Kokedama, kusamono, wabikusa: exotic forms of phytodesign
House of Cards: 8 secrets of a successful marriage Claire Underwood
Stunning painting clothes bleach. Brilliantly simple and successful idea
How to organize a holiday in the pirate style
Gray is the current trend this year (14 photos)
Jewelry Encyclopedia: what are synthetic stones
Maki Hair Accessories