How to make kvass from bread - 11 step-by-step recipes
Kvass is a traditional drink with a rich history dating back centuries. In ancient Russia, it was cooked everywhere. Each housewife was able to cook kvass from bread at home.
Traditionally, kvass was obtained as a result of fermentation from malt and flour with the addition of honey, aromatic and healthy herbs, vegetables and berries. There are many modern cooking options for kvass - from short-term to unhurried, from classic prescription to innovative and exotic, for example, kvass made from oats.
In the article I will talk about the popular ways of making the popular Slavic drink and give you delicious step-by-step recipes.
History of kvass
The first mention of the miraculous and tasty drink dates back to the ancient annals of 996. The Grand Duke of Kiev and Novgorod lands, Vladimir, in which Christianity entrenched as the state religion, ordered to distribute to people in honor of the national holiday "food, honey and kvass."
More than a millennium has passed, but good old kvass has not lost its popularity. It has a healing and invigorating effect and an enormous amount of useful properties, including:
- improvement of metabolism;
- restoration of water-salt balance;
- positive effect on the heart and blood vessels.
Kvass is a great helper to the digestive process, as it contains carbon dioxide. It is rich in vitamins of groups B and C. The yeast, which is a part, strengthens the hair and prevents the formation of acne.
Let us turn to the "main dish" of the article - the recipes for real bread kvass. Note to housewives and men who love to cook.
Classic kvass from rye black bread
- Water - 8 l,
- Rye Bread - 800 g
- Yeast - 50 g,
- Sugar - 1,5 glasses.
- I cut bread in thin slices, spread on a baking sheet. Turn on the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees. If necessary, I reduce the temperature. I make sure that the slices are dried and not burnt.
- I put water on the stove, sprinkle sugar. After boiling water, add ready-made bread croutons. I remove the pan from the stove and leave it alone for a few hours.The base base should cool to a temperature slightly warmer than room temperature.
- In the cooled mixture add yeast. Mix thoroughly until complete dissolution.
- Cover the wort with a towel and leave for a day. In a day I get kvass with a light sweet-sour taste. For a richer and more pronounced taste, I give the wort to stand still for a day. Strain through multi-layered gauze, pour in cans and set to cool. Done!
The recipe for kvass bread without yeast
A simple recipe for your favorite kvass without philosophizing with yeast and claims of originality.
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon,
- Water - 3 liters,
- Rye bread - 400 g.
- I take bread, crumble into a 3-liter jar to fill the bottom. Pre-dry.
- Pour water at room temperature, sprinkle sugar.
- I cover it with a glass lid that allows the drink to breathe. Leave to wander. The warmer the house, the faster the kvass will "reach". 2-3 days is enough.
The resulting kvass can be used for okroshki, marinating meat. Thick is applied several times. Before the next cooking, do not forget to add bread and a little sugar.
A quick way to make kvass
Do you want to learn how to make a homemade drink with a pleasant sourness and a sweet-caramel taste in half an hour? Follow the recipe.
- Water - 2.5 l,
- Dry yeast - 2 teaspoons,
- Citric acid - 1 small spoon,
- Sugar - 200 g.
- I take warm boiled water and pour it into a jar. I put citric acid and yeast. Slowly and thoroughly mixed.
- Cooking burnt sugar. In a separate pan throw off the sugar. Turn on the middle fire. I wait until the sugar becomes golden brown. It is very important not to overdo it on fire. Otherwise, the drink will turn out bitter. I add 150 g of cold water to the brown mass, mix it thoroughly.
- Combine the sugar and the mixture in a jar. Stir again.
- I close the top of the jar with a thick cloth (kitchen towel) and put it in a warm place for half an hour. Poured into containers and sent to the fridge to cool. That's all the wisdom!
How to make kvass from white bread and yeast
The main feature of the recipe is the use of a loaf of white bread. It will give the kvass an unusual golden hue.
- Water - 3 liters,
- Bread - 150-200 g,
- Dry yeast for baking - half a teaspoon,
- Sugar - 4 tablespoons,
- Raisin - 30 g
- I cut the bread. Dry the slices in a preheated oven and pour into a 3-liter jar.
- I pour the water and leave for 30 minutes, letting the crackers soften. In half an hour I add sugar, yeast and raisins. Thoroughly stir.
- I cover with a lid (loose) and leave it for 1-2 days. The amount of time depends directly on the saturation of the taste of kvass, its acidity. Next, filter and pour into bottles. I put in the refrigerator for storage.
Kvass bread for okroshka with mint
- Water - 2 l,
- Borodino bread - 350 g,
- Raisin - 50 g,
- Mint is a small bunch.
- I prepare the infusion based on mint. Wrap the grass with boiling water and leave to infuse.
- I cut the loaf into small cubes and throw them into the jar. Thoroughly my raisins, dry and throw to the bread. Pour herbal infusion and add boiling water to the jar. Close the lid.
- I leave for a day in a warm place. Then I pour into the bottle, gently separating the thicket with gauze. I screw the lid on and put it in the fridge.
Helpful advice. The taste of okroshechny kvass will become more intense if you add fresh currant leaves to mint.
Simple okroshevaya kvass
- Baker's yeast - 50 g,
- Water - 7 l,
- Rye bread - 2 kg,
- Sugar - 2 tablespoons with a slide.
- I grind bread, I dry it in the oven. Toss the crushed pieces into a saucepan and pour boiling water over it. Leave for 4 hours, giving the bread to infuse.
- Pour the liquid, add the yeast, sprinkle sugar. Carefully interfere and expose the drink to heat. I give kvass to brew for 5-6 hours. Strain and cool.
Wonderful homemade kvass is ready for okroshka!
No starter kvass recipe on oatmeal
- Oatmeal - 1 kg,
- Sugar - 5 tablespoons,
- Water - 2 liters,
- Raisin - 20 g.
- Thoroughly wash the oats. I pour it out in a jar, add sugar with raisins.
- Pour boiled water.
- Cover with a cloth and put in a warm place. Waiting for 2 days.
- For the first time, the drink will get a sweet, but mild flavor, so I drain it.
- I pour some sugar and pour fresh water. Leave another two days. After a certain time, I squeeze out a fragrant drink with a light acidity and pour it into a bottle.
- I close the lid and leave for 12 hours for carbonization (natural saturation with carbon dioxide).
How to make kvass from bread and raisins
- Borodino bread - 4 slices,
- Raisins - 3 tablespoons of dark variety, 1 small spoon - light,
- Dry yeast - 4 g,
- Sugar - 4 tablespoons,
- Water - 3 liters.
- Properly dried Borodino bread. In a natural way, without an oven. I cut into slices and leave on a baking sheet, in the open for 1 day.
- I take the pan and brown the bread. Ready crackers should cool down. Throw in the pot or jar.
- Add sugar, yeast, dried berries.
- I fill with warm water. Gently mix. I seal the jar tightly with gauze and leave to prepare during the day.
- Separate the leaven from the drink. I use a sieve, then gauze.
- Pour into bottles, add more white raisins. For a richer taste I put in the fridge for 2 days.
Prescription kvass is prepared for a long time, but the result will meet the expectations. Kvass made from bread and raisins will be very fragrant and spicy.
Dokvass from bread and millet
- Brown bread crust - 3 pieces,
- Millet - 2 glasses,
- Sugar - 3 tablespoons,
- Water - 3 liters.
- Dried sliced bread in the oven. I lay in a 3-liter jar of cereals, cooked crackers, sugar. Carefully interfere.
- Pour boiled water, close the jar. I give brew for two days.
- You will understand the readiness of kvass by the formation of bubbles. Carefully pour out the drink, fill them with pre-prepared bottles. Keep in the fridge.
- Do not throw out the wheat sourdough; on its basis it is possible to make a stronger and fragrant drink.
- To give the original taste in wheat kvass, add two ingredients - coriander and cumin.
How to cook Russian kvass in a barrel
A classic ancient recipe for making a delicious drink in a keg.
- Crushed rye malt - 1 kg,
- Barley crushed malt - 600 g,
- Rye flour - 600 g,
- Rye bread (preferably stale or weather-beaten) - 80 g,
- Rye crackers - 130 g,
- Mint leaves - 30 g,
- Treacle - 1 kg.
- I make dough on the basis of flour, malt and 3 liters of water. Thoroughly knead in a large container. Covering the top with a thick cloth. I brew for 1 hour.
- I shift the dough into the cast-iron dishes (you can change the other one, the main thing is with refractory properties), put it in a preheated oven. After steaming, carefully mix the dough and leave for 1 day.
- I cut bread. I spread the dough in a large tank, pour 16 liters of boiling water.I add crackers and crushed bread. Carefully interfere and leave alone for 8 hours.
- After starting the fermentation of the mash, I pour the liquid into the barrel. The barrel should be steamed and thoroughly rinsed. These are obligatory hygienic actions that have a beneficial effect on the future aroma and contribute to the disinfection of the reservoir.
- The rest of the leaven is refilled with boiling water. I am waiting for 3 hours. Pour kvass basis in a keg, add mint infusion and leave to ferment.
- Send a barrel in the cellar-glacier. After the remission of the fermentation process, I put treacle (calculation is as follows: for a 30-liter barrel of 1 kg of sweetener). I seal the sleeve. Waiting for 4 days.
- The drink can be stored for several months without losing taste. The main thing - do not expose to heat, set in a cold place with a constant temperature.
How to cook a hearty kvass
- Dry yeast - 30 g,
- Black bread - 800 g,
- Boiled water - 4 l,
- Honey - 100 g,
- Horseradish - 100 g,
- Sugar - 80 g,
- Raisins - to taste.
- I cut bread and spread on a baking sheet. I put it in the oven, heated to 180 degrees. Fry until golden, slightly brown.
- Pour crackers with boiling water. Insist 4 hours. I take the gauze, filter the wort.Add yeast, throw sugar and put in a warm place for fermentation.
- After 6-7 hours I pour almost ready drink into the bottles. Lay in each of 2-3 things raisins for flavor.
- I do not close until I notice the formation of bubbles near the bottleneck. Only then I seal the bottles and set them in the fridge for two hours.
- I rub the horseradish on a grater. I add honey. Stir the mixture with a small amount of the finished drink. After gently pouring out the hearty infusion into the bottle, giving the kvass to “walk” within 4 hours.
Tips for taking notes
- Be careful when choosing dishes for cooking. Kvass does not tolerate containers and tanks that are prone to oxidation. The best solution is an enamel saucepan, stainless steel cookware or a good old pot.
- Do not allow peroxidation. Fermentation depends on the temperature in the room where the brew is prepared and infused. The higher it is, the faster you will get the desired result.
- Raisins are not just a flavoring additive, but a great helper in saturating a beverage with carbon dioxide.
- Do not overcook the bread in the oven. Better dry naturally. Otherwise, the taste will be bitter.
Kvass is a healthy drink that has a beneficial effect on the body. There are many options for making kvass from bread at home on different types of flour, with the addition of malt (wheat and rye) or without it. Each technology, each ingredient in the composition affects the final taste starting from a light and pleasant berry, ending with a hearty and tart, breaking through the nose.
Experiment, do not be afraid to try and make a new one.
Brigitte Macron meets Brigitte Bardot at the Elysee Palace
What properties does a white ash tree have?
How to meet guests