Influenza 2016-2017 symptoms and signs in children and adults. Treatment of viral flu and ARVI in humans
On the eve of the cold winter, physicians with a double activity are studying the epidemiological situation in the country and in the world. This is done in order to warn the population about potential viruses and in time to create conditions that do not allow single outbreaks of the disease to turn into a global pandemic.
Epidemiologists suggest that acute respiratory viral infections and seasonal influenza 2016-2017 will become active in November-December of this year. Symptoms and signs of strains A will appear in adults and children a little later (presumably in early January 2017). However, doctors are confident that the incidence will not exceed the figures of last year and that every person will receive timely medical assistance and necessary services for treatment and speedy recovery.
The only thing the doctor asks is not to self-medicate, but to immediately contact the specialists, especially in case of exacerbation of the primary symptoms. This will help locate the site of infection in time and prevent viruses from spreading further. Therefore, if you suddenly feel bad, started to cough and sneeze, felt sharp pains in the chest and strong weakness, do not delay treatment in the long box, and immediately go to the doctor. According to the primary symptoms, he will be able to determine in time the nature of the disease, even if it proceeds without fever, and will immediately prescribe the correct treatment. Only then the virus will be able to quickly win and it will not give to the body of adults and children any unpleasant and dangerous complications.
Influenza 2016-2017: the virologists forecast of which flu is expected
For the autumn-winter period of 2016-2017, virologists make a disappointing prediction: we are expected not only by the traditional colds and ARVI, but several kinds of influenza, each of which is dangerous in its own way, both for children and adults. The epidemic season will begin from the end of October and will last almost until the spring. The most active will circulate such strains of influenza virus as:
- H1N1 or swine flu.It is a subtype of the influenza A virus, which is considered one of the most common on the planet and causes the most widespread epidemics, accompanied by a large number of fatalities. It spreads both among people, and among animals and birds. WHO first registered major foci of this disease in June 2009. The virus is transmitted in several ways: aerogenic - from the carrier to the victim in the process of sneezing or coughing; contact-household - if the rules of personal hygiene (hand washing) are not observed after touching objects that have been exposed to the elements of the virus that spreads the disease; passive - by eating infected pork, cooked without proper heat treatment.
- H2N2 or Asian flu.It first manifested itself in February 1957 in the south of China and caused an epidemic that was devastating in scale. A year from the deadly effect of the virus killed from 1 to 4 million people. In early spring, the disease spread to Singapore, and in May the impact of the influenza virus was felt on the border areas of the Soviet Union. By the end of 1957 in the USSR, the number of patients affected by the Asian flu was between 30 and 50 percent of the total population.A small recession of the disease around the world began only in the fall of 1958, but already in December the pandemic moved into the second active phase and swept the Middle and Near East. It was possible to curb the virus only by December 1959, however, as a result of its march around the world, from 1.5 to 2 billion people had just fallen ill, and more than 1 million people from different countries died as a result of the pandemic. By 1968, the strain of this virus was finally “supplanted” and since then there has been no vaccination of adults and children against H2N2 and immunity in modern people born after 1969 to this disease is absent. WHO warns everyone about a possible H2N2 epidemic, since the cyclical nature of this kind of viral manifestations is 60 years and 2017 could well be the beginning of a new round of pandemics.
- H3N2 or the Hong Kong flu.One of the rather old viruses that killed a lot of people around the world in the late 60s of the last century. Similar in symptoms to swine flu, but is considered somewhat less dangerous for people. Most often it affects the non-active, working-age population up to 60 years old, and children whose immune systems have not yet been fully formed, and elderly people who have a weakened body due to age-related changes and all sorts of chronic diseases of varying severity.The disease is very dangerous for pregnant women, diabetics, heavy smokers, HIV-infected people and people who drink a lot of alcohol. The highest death rate from the Hong Kong flu is observed among children under 2 years old and the elderly 65 and over.
Classic and specific (dangerous) symptoms of influenza 2017 in adults
The bulk of the symptoms of the above strains are manifested in adults as well as regular seasonal flu or ARVI. Almost in all cases, the temperature rises, the throat feels pain, sharpens a constant cough, and the nose irritates the abundant rhinitis. The body aches from muscle pain, and sharply rolling weakness causes the desire to lie down, instead of going to work or doing the usual household chores. Such an unpleasant condition is accompanied by severe headaches, constant chills and tachycardia.
Dangerous symptoms of strains of influenza A in adults
When various strains of influenza enter the body, the classic manifestations of the common cold are aggravated and complicated by additional symptoms. The patient should, without losing a single minute turn to the profile doctor for treatment or call the ambulance, if:
- The temperature during the day steadily keeps at around 39-40 degrees and cannot be beaten down by any antipyretic agents. Or if during 4-5 days the temperature does not fall below 38 degrees, despite the active treatment, regular intake of appropriate drugs, vitamins and tablets.
- Severe, aching pain, aches and weakness are felt throughout the body. Nausea rises to the throat, sudden unreasonable urge to vomit, pulling the lower abdomen, diarrhea periodically occurs, and when urinating there are difficulties or urges and are completely absent for a long time. All this is accompanied by shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, blue lips, signs of dehydration, cramping of limbs, confusion and general disorientation.
- The disease progresses very actively and the patient's condition worsens, literally, before our eyes, sometimes within a few hours. The incubation period of the influenza strains is very short and usually ranges from 2 to 4 days, so it is very important to identify the type of flu as soon as possible and create all conditions for a person to properly treat the disease.
- Intensive inflammatory processes immediately following an increase in temperature. With ordinary seasonal flu, this is only expressed in a cold and cough. If the organism is affected by strains, the mucous membrane often becomes inflamed, and in severe cases, viral pneumonia is not sensitive to classical antibiotics. This is the most dangerous moment, since the complication is rapidly progressing and, in the absence of timely and correct treatment, can cause a fatal outcome, and just a day after observing the first symptoms of the complication.
Influenza: characteristic signs and symptoms in children
Flu-like symptoms and signs in children are very similar to the manifestation of the disease in adults. In the same way, the temperature of the children rises sharply, weakness and lethargy roll in, a sore throat in the throat and torture cough with a runny nose. Influenza strains affect young patients even more severely than adults. To some of their symptoms, children are especially vulnerable, and according to some indicators, they even are at risk of being fatal if there is no timely and qualified treatment.
- In viral influenza in children of preschool and school age, the larynx area, the large bronchi and the trachea are primarily affected. It is there that the most global morphological changes occur. In the lung tissue, blood circulation is disrupted, and small hemorrhages develop in the pleura. The smaller the child’s age, the higher the risk of a serous inflammation in the lungs and the subsequent development of pneumonia.
- Symptoms of strains of category A appear in children within 2 days, influenza B - for 3-4 days. The most acute phase is the onset of the disease. At this moment, the temperature "takes off" to 39-40 ° C and it is not always possible to knock it down quickly. The worst is that children feel at the end of the first day and sometimes a serious condition (weakness, joint and muscle pain, increased lethargy) also passes the second day of the disease.
- Almost always, flu in children is accompanied by such a symptom as a sharp decrease in appetite, and in particularly difficult cases, a complete refusal to eat. Nausea and vomiting, severe headache, insomnia, and, less often, delirium and hallucinations are likely.
- The following symptoms are most characteristic of the active course of the disease: cough, nasal mucous discharge,acute sore throat, complications of swallowing, segmental pulmonary edema, pale skin and excessive sweating. In difficult cases, possible meningeal symptoms, short fainting, cramping of limbs and bleeding from the nose.
Influenza 2016-2017 - prevention and treatment in adults and children
Among the preventive procedures that help adults and children protect themselves from the symptoms of influenza 2016-2017 and ARVI, timely vaccination is considered to be the most effective. It is carried out in the early autumn (from September to October). This is done so that by the beginning of a potential epidemic of viral infections, the body has become stronger and has managed to develop immunity. Vaccination of children and adults is carried out with the help of medications that have surface antigens of influenza strains. After 14-30 days, the vaccine enters the active phase and the person becomes practically immune to diseases.
For adults and children who, for personal reasons, are not able to get vaccinated against influenza, a special option is offered for the prevention and treatment of primary symptoms: regular use of immunomodulators, strict adherence to personal hygiene, restrictions on being in public places, use of personal protective equipment, etc.
If, despite all the precautions, children or adults show primary signs and symptoms of the disease, you should immediately consult a doctor to get a qualified medical treatment. When all necessary drugs are prescribed, they will need to be taken in strict accordance with the instructions of the doctor. In addition, it is necessary to minimize contact with people, limit (or cancel at all) any physical activity, observe bed rest (even when the disease passes without fever), eat well and take vitamins. These rules are equally relevant for both adults and children, and are binding.
In what style to design a small kitchen Designer Tips
Stylish polo t-shirt options
How to make hair shiny
The most popular step-by-step recipes from chicken
The best and worst songs of 2016 according to Time