Perfect Feta Cheese Recipes
Cheeses are not only useful, but also very tasty. There are many varieties, one of which is a gentle feta. And you can cook it yourself.
What kind of cheese is that?
Feta is a traditional Greek cheese, usually made from sheep's milk. This product is popular in many regions of the Mediterranean. It is believed that he was known for a very long time, and the first mention of him appeared in the Middle Ages. The manufacturing technology was fairly simple: the milk of the sheep was placed in the skins made from animal skins, it was fermented in them, and then, to extend the shelf life, was transferred to the brine from sea water.
Modern production differs from the medieval and consists of several stages. First, the milk is heated and fermented, then excess liquid is removed from it, after which the mass is packaged and placed in a saline solution, in which it finally matures within two to three months.
How to make feta cheese with your own hands? This can be done in several ways, and the most interesting ones are discussed below.
Gentle feta can be made from milk. For this you will need:
- about 2.5-2.7 liters of milk;
- liter of water;
- a third of a glass of salt (the amount can be changed, depending on the desired final salinity of the cheese).
- Pour the milk into any container and leave it in a warm place for the night so that it starts to ferment. But the product should remain liquid, so do not increase the exposure time.
- Heat the oven to 140-150 degrees, put milk into it, first pouring it into a heat-resistant container
- Milk should be heated for about two hours, but do not boil, so periodically look into the oven and, if necessary, reduce the temperature.
- When the serum separates, you will find a curd clot. It needs to be moved to a colander, previously covered with a cloth or several times folded with gauze.
- Leave the cheese for several hours, removing it in the fridge, then turn it over to remove the liquid on the other side. If you want feta to be more dense, then you can put a not very heavy load on it.
- Next, prepare the brine by dissolving the salt in water. In this solution, put the cheese mass and leave for at least a week.
A more tender feta is obtained from the cream. To make it you need:
- 2 l not very fat cream;
- 4-5 Art. l. natural yogurt;
- 4 or 5 tbsp. l. water;
- 4 tablets acidin-pepsin (you can replace the rennet);
- two art. l. salt.
- Pour milk into the pan, warm it up to about 35 degrees on the stove. Immediately add the yogurt into it and stir well, and then leave it for about an hour in a warm place (you can wrap the container with a towel so that the fermentation starts exactly).
- Atsidin-pepsin should be poured with cool water, thoroughly stir it, and then pour in the time to sour the milk a little and mix everything again. Next, clean the composition again in a warm place and leave on all night.
- The serum should separate (do not rush to pour it, it will come in handy later), and a solid mass should be placed in a colander to allow the remaining liquid to drain.
- Curd mix with half a tablespoon of salt, shift into cheesecloth, squeeze again and leave in a cool place for a day to make the cheese matured.
- Prepare the pickle. To do this, in the remaining serum after fermentation, enter a half tablespoons of salt, stir. In this solution, put the cheese and leave for a few days, so that it is well salted. In such a brine feta can be stored for quite some time.
Delicious, spicy and light feta cheese can be made from yogurt, but only natural, not containing any additives.
Here is the list of ingredients required:
- 1 liter of fairly thick yogurt;
- 5 tsp. salts;
- st. l. olive oil.
- Lemon zest must be grated. Next, mix it with salt (a teaspoon), yogurt and butter.
- The whole mixture should be moved to a fairly thick cloth, then hung over a bowl or put in a colander (it should be put in a container) and sent for two or three days in the refrigerator.
- So, the serum of glass, do not pour it, but add four teaspoons of salt. Put cheese in this brine, leave for a couple of days and serve.
Great cheese can come from powdered milk.
Here is what you need:
- 900-1000 g of powdered milk;
- 1.5 liters of water;
- 140-150 ml of sour cream;
- ½ tsp vinegar;
- hl salts;
- rennet (for example, five tablets "Abomina").
- Heat water about 35-37 degrees, dissolve powdered milk in it, break the lumps with a mixer.
- In water (cool), dissolve the enzyme.
- Into the warm milk, enter the sour cream, actively stirring the composition, then add water with rennet. Once again, everything quickly and thoroughly mix. Next, add vinegar, and then the mixture is better to whisk.
- Composition send for twelve hours in a warm place. You can also wrap the capacity of a blanket.
- Place the curd mass in a cloth, squeeze and leave to drain in a colander for several hours (you can put pressure on it).
- Next, put the cheese in a pickle (add 4 tablespoons of salt to a liter of water or whey), leave for a few days.
Finally, a few recommendations:
- The most delicious feta at home is obtained from fatty, home-made and always fresh milk, as the pasteurized store may not be squashed properly. And if you use a low-fat product, the finished cheese will not be so tender.
- Many are interested in how much salt to add to the brine. It all depends on your preferences and the desired final salinity of the product.The average amount is about three or four tablespoons per liter of liquid.
- If suddenly you overdo it with salt, do not worry. To correct the situation will allow soaking feta in mineral water or in milk. You can also simply wash the product in boiled water.
- If you want to get a gentle and light consistency, then do not put the mass under oppression in the process of maturing. And to get a fairly dense feta cheese, which can be added to salads and cut, on the contrary, you will need a press (it will remove all the liquid).
- Any recipe can be supplemented with seasonings to make the product spicy and savory.
Be sure to try making a feta cheese with your own hands, because it’s not at all difficult!
What kind of car to buy for 180,000 rubles
7 things that will change in your life if you start doing the bar daily
Useful properties of cochus fish
Polymer Clay Rose
What are eye patches used for?