The pros and cons of wallpaper in the bathroom
For finishing the bathroom, you can use different materials, and the most common is tile. Is it possible to decorate this room with wallpaper? Weigh the pros and cons of such a decision and figure out the pitfalls.
Wallpaper in the bathroom: the pros and cons
Should I glue wallpaper in the bathroom? This question worries many people who started repairs in such a room. And the use of this coating provides a lot of opportunities, but it can "throw" a lot of problems.
First, consider the advantages of using wallpaper for finishing the bathroom:
- Significant savings. Decorating walls with wallpaper will be much cheaper than using ceramic tiles or other materials. Although some varieties have significant value.
- Easy operation. Indeed, it is much easier to glue wallpapers than, for example, laying tiles. Even a beginner will cope with this task, especially if the fitting of drawings is not required.
- Many options for colors and patterns.Using wallpaper, you can create absolutely any design of a room, because such a coating can have various shades, prints and textures that imitate other materials.
- If you decide to update the interior of the room, you will do it without difficulty, since the coating is easily and quickly removed, unlike the same tile, which would have to take a lot of effort when dismantling.
- The ability to combine wallpaper with other finishing materials, with almost any. And some combinations can turn out stylish and interesting.
Now list the cons:
- Many types of wallpaper are exposed to high humidity, which is simply impossible to avoid in the bathroom. But there are still moisture-resistant varieties that do not change their characteristics even with direct contact with water.
- If the coating absorbs moisture, then gradually its adhesion to the surface of the walls will deteriorate, and this will lead to flaking and will require redecoration.
- Steam and moisture can cause the glue to swell, which causes irregularities on the surface of the walls and adversely affect their appearance.
What wallpapers can I use to finish the bathroom?
In the shops of finishing materials you can find wallpapers for every taste, but what to choose? For the decoration of the bathroom will fit only those that withstand moisture and retain their characteristics when in contact with water.
So, you can use the following types:
- Vinyl wallpapers have a top layer made of vinyl, that is, polyvinyl chloride. Such a coating is considered waterproof and can have an interesting characteristic texture that can make the walls more attractive. The basis can be paper and non-woven. But it is worth remembering that during thermal effects vinyl wallpaper can begin to deform and delaminate. In addition, the material does not allow steam and air to pass through, which, in the absence of adequate ventilation, will inevitably lead to the formation and accumulation of condensate, as well as worsen the indoor microclimate. Finally, poor quality vinyl is able to release harmful substances into the environment.
- Washing wallpaper. Their basis can be practically any, but the main difference between such a coating and other types is the outer layer that protects against moisture and allows wet cleaning.That is, pasted walls can be safely wiped with a damp cloth and washed, hence this talking name.
- Glass fiber They include particles of fiberglass, and they determine the main qualities of the coating, which include refractoriness, water resistance, increased strength, resistance to mold and mechanical damage, durability, and a variety of textures. In addition, these wallpapers can be painted. The main disadvantage is the high price.
- Pay attention to the so-called liquid wallpaper. They are a mixture consisting of cellulose fibers and textile materials, as well as adhesives. After the addition of water, a mass resembling plaster is formed, which is applied to the surface of the walls by a dense layer. The advantages include the ability to quickly eliminate defects (enough to handle the damaged area), aesthetics, environmental friendliness and good throughput. But to make such a coating waterproof, it must be covered with acrylic lacquer, which forms a protective layer.
- Self-adhesive wallpaper from the others are distinguished by the presence of an adhesive layer located on the back side. This type does not require additional use of adhesives, which is very convenient.But when sticking, you have to be more careful, because sloppy movements will lead to the formation of voids, which, with temperature changes and exposure to moisture, will provoke the appearance of bubbles and break the fixation of the material. In addition, it is worth choosing wallpaper, the characteristics of which indicate water resistance, as not all self-adhesive coatings have this quality.
Options for using wallpaper
The easiest and most obvious way to use wallpaper is to decorate all the walls of a bathroom with their help. But this option is not the only one. So, you can combine wallpaper with other materials, and in various ways.
Try to alternate surfaces using wallpaper and other coverings, for example, wall panels, tiles, waterproof plaster. It is also possible to isolate one of the sides, but it is desirable that the one that comes into contact with moisture is shaped with the help of a coating that withstands such exposure, for example, tiles. Another option - the allocation of a separate section of the wall: a mirror or shower. You can also combine materials on one wall, dividing it into two parts or breaking into strips.
Choose the right wallpaper to make your bathroom stylish and interesting.
Kate Moss appreciated the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
What to do on the island of Sithonia
Books on TV shows that you don’t mind spending time on
Top names for cat and cat
James Bond planned to kill in the script of the new part
The choice of profession - we make an important decision
Energy vampires: how to escape
What you need to know when going on vacation abroad