The pros and cons of wholegrain products
Proper and balanced nutrition today relevant and popular. And so many people choose and eat wholegrain products with pleasure. Are they really useful?
What it is?
Whole grains are products that can be found in almost all parts of the grain (these include the shell, the endosperm, the germ and the aleurone layer), and in the form that its nature has created.
If the grains have been processed, and as a result of such processing their characteristics have changed, they can no longer be considered whole. The cleaned grain will not be solid either.
Whole grain products may vary. Thus, various cereals, whole-grain bread, muesli, small loaves and so on belong to them.
Whole grains are very, very helpful. Here are the main advantages:
- First of all, it is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates. These carbohydrates are consumed in a special way, as they give the body energy, but it does not contribute to the increase in blood sugar and does not go "in reserve".
- Such products contain a large amount of fiber, which, firstly, normalizes digestion and relieves constipation, secondly, removes toxins and slags, and thirdly, gives a feeling of satiety.
- Whole grains contain large amounts of B vitamins, the benefits of which are very, very important. So, they participate in many metabolic processes and regulate them, normalize the functioning of the nervous system and accelerate regeneration processes and tissue renewal.
- There is also iron, which is necessary for the prevention of anemia and the normalization of the hemoglobin level in the blood. But it is hemoglobin that is responsible for the transfer of oxygen from the blood to all organs, tissues and systems of the body.
- Vitamin E is also found in such products, which is a natural antioxidant and protects against the extremely negative effects of free radicals (it can trigger the development of cancer), and is also responsible for the condition of the skin, mucous membranes and hair.
- Calcium is needed not only for the health and beauty of nails, teeth and hair, but also for the strength of bones.
- Zinc is a unique anti-inflammatory component.
- Potassium helps to strengthen the heart muscle.
- Protein, which is also very much here, is a building block for most cells of the body. Without protein, our muscles cannot function normally.
- Phosphorus is involved in some processes in the brain.
- And still such products are incredibly useful for a figure.
Now it’s worthwhile to list the disadvantages of whole grain products:
- Whole grain products are a pretty strong allergen. Firstly, they may contain pollen of plants, secondly, there is a lot of protein here, and it can also provoke the development of allergic reactions.
- Almost all grains contain the substance gluten, which some simply cannot tolerate (a disease related to gluten intolerance is called celiac disease).
- Whole grain foods are quite complex and heavy for the digestive system. That is why they can not be used by young children, the elderly, as well as those who suffer from certain bowel diseases.
- It is believed that whole grains are not fully heat-treatable, so that microbes and bacteria that may well enter the body may remain on its surface.But if all the rules were followed during the production, there would be no threat.
- Some grains may contain pesticides and other harmful substances (during cleaning, some of them are removed), so you should be careful about the choice of such products.
How to choose?
How to choose wholegrain products? Here's what you should pay attention to:
- Composition. It certainly must be whole grain. But it can also be ground, so that the wholemeal flour will also apply to whole-grain products. Various unrefined cereals (for example, rice) also fall into this category, as do flakes (for example, oatmeal). But remember that in quality products whole grain in the composition should be in the first place, it will say that this ingredient is contained here in the greatest quantity. If he is on the second or third place, it is difficult to call such a whole-grain product.
- Place of production. In order for products to be environmentally friendly, they must be manufactured in places that are favorable from this point of view. So do not be lazy and find information about the environmental situation in the city or region in which the grain was grown.
- Rate the look. Since the grain is not refined, the appearance of the product may be slightly different from the usual.So, rice can be brown, but it will say that it is not cleared. Whole grain bread will never be lush, white and soft. It will be tight, a little harsh and gray.
- Purchase products from trusted stores.
How to store?
Store whole grain products in a special way. Since some of them contain natural essential oils, the shelf life will definitely not be too long. It is best to place such products in a cool place, protected from direct sunlight. Avoid contact with moisture in the container, as it can lead to mold.
How to cook?
How are whole grains cooked? Almost the same as everyone else. From flour you can bake bread. But once it is worth noting that it will be slightly different from baked from the usual high-grade flour. So, the dough will not rise and will seem too wet. Cereals can be cooked, but the porridge of them will also differ, as they will be a bit rough.
Some useful tips:
- Do not try to replace the rest of the whole-grain products, use them once a day.
- It is advisable to use such products in the morning.
- Do not use whole grain products beyond the expiration date.
Eat right and strengthen your health!
How to make park benches from disposable tableware
LED backlight for any ceiling
7 proven highlighter for radiant skin
Top 7 most budget countries for tourism
Pond at a private house